I Am Stubborn in My Opinions, But I Am Not Rude
I am stubborn about my opinions, but not rude. A reflection on boundaries, self-respect, people-pleasing, and learning to stand your ground.
Yes, I Am Stubborn in My Opinions, But Not Rude
This is a confession I would like to make.
Yes, I can be stubborn about my opinions, but I am not rude. There is a difference between standing firmly by what you believe and disrespecting someone who believes differently.
For far too long, I was lenient with my opinions, my behavior, my boundaries, and even my strategies for dealing with people. I kept adjusting myself, compromising, staying quiet, and letting things slide because I thought perhaps that was the mature thing to do.
But eventually, that leniency came with a price.
It created stress, resentment, and consequences that I had to carry myself. And after living for more than thirty years, I have finally come to a realization that perhaps I should have understood much earlier: not everyone deserves unlimited access to your patience.
Because sometimes, people around you will walk all over your softness without even looking back to see whether you are still standing.
That doesn't mean I have become cold. It means I have learned to become clearer.
So yes, I express my opinions. I say what I think. I may stand my ground when something matters to me. But if someone doesn't agree with me, I don't feel the need to drag them into an argument or force them to see the world through my eyes.
They are free to believe what they want.
And I am free to believe what I believe.
If someone chooses to misunderstand me, I don't always feel the need to correct them. Sometimes, I simply let them remain comfortably inside their own version of reality.
Not every disagreement deserves a debate.
Not every accusation deserves a defence.
Not every misunderstanding needs to be cleared.
And not every person needs to be convinced of my intentions.
I have spent enough years trying to explain myself to people who had already decided what they wanted to believe.
Now, I would rather use that energy to understand myself.
I can be stubborn about my principles without being disrespectful. I can say no without insulting anyone. I can disagree without becoming cruel. I can walk away without creating a scene.
Perhaps this is what growing older has taught me: being kind does not require being endlessly accommodating.
Sometimes, the healthiest version of you is not the one who keeps bending.
It is the one who finally learns where to stand.










Comments
Post a Comment