When Your Coworkers Turn Against You; The Man on the Bench: What Workplace Betrayal Taught Me
Workplace betrayal can hurt deeply. Discover how one unexpected conversation taught me to recognize patterns, set boundaries, and protect my peace.
The Man on the Bench
Here I was, taking a stroll through the park at the break of dawn, when the world was still waking up.
The morning air was cool, the lake was unusually still, and the first rays of sunlight were slowly spreading across the water. Ducks floated lazily near the shore, birds hopped between the branches, and butterflies moved from one flower to another as if they had nowhere else to be.
I wished I could say my mind was as peaceful as the morning.
It wasn't.
My thoughts were crowded with people, their behavior, their words, their silences, and most of all, their betrayals.
For once, I had pulled an entire night shift to complete an important assignment. I had stayed at my desk long after everyone else had gone home, surviving on coffee and sheer determination. When my colleagues arrived the next morning, they were surprised to see me still working.
"You actually stayed all night?"
"Yes," I had replied, smiling tiredly. "The work had to be finished."
I had believed my dedication would speak for itself.
Then came appraisal day.
I walked into my boss's office expecting, if not praise, at least an acknowledgment of my effort.
Instead, my boss leaned back in the chair and said casually,
"You seem to be taking credit for someone else's contribution."
For a moment, I couldn't understand what I was hearing.
Someone else's contribution?
I knew exactly how much work I had done.
And what hurt even more was that several of my colleagues had witnessed it.
Surely they would speak up.
Surely they would tell the truth.
But when I looked toward them later, each one suddenly found something more interesting to stare at.
Their computers.
Their phones.
Their paperwork.
Anything but me.
The same people who had watched me work through the night had suddenly developed amnesia.
I sat back at my workstation, frustrated and humiliated. Instead of offering a word of comfort, my colleagues began throwing around meaningless comments.
"Don't take it so seriously."
"These things happen."
"Maybe your boss misunderstood."
"Just forget about it."
Forget about it.
That phrase is remarkably easy to say when someone else's heart is carrying the weight.
By the end of the day, I was exhausted.
Not from work.
From people.
So the next morning, I went to the park.
I needed somewhere without office politics, forced smiles, whispered conversations, and people who changed personalities depending on who was standing in front of them.
After walking for a while, I sat on a bench overlooking the lake.
The sunrise was beautiful.
I tried to let it distract me.
I watched the ducks glide across the water. A few birds flew low over the lake. Somewhere behind me, children were laughing, and the soft flutter of butterflies filled the garden.
For the first time in days, I felt my shoulders relax.
Then someone sat down beside me.
I glanced sideways.
A very handsome man was sitting there, dressed in a black and blue tracksuit.
My first thought was immediate.
Great. Just what I need.
I moved slightly toward the other end of the bench.
He looked at the lake.
"It's a beautiful morning."
I frowned.
Instead of answering, I shifted my position again, turning toward the sunrise.
He looked at me.
Then at the distance I had created between us.
Then back at me.
"Lady," he said with a small laugh, "take a chill. I'm not trying to flirt with you."
I gave him a skeptical look.
He laughed.
"I'm serious."
I remained silent.
He sighed and stretched his legs forward.
"Actually, I'm an emotional health counselor."
That caught my attention.
He continued.
"I work professionally with people, but I also talk to people I meet in everyday life. I find that sometimes people tell strangers things they cannot tell the people closest to them."
I looked at him properly for the first time.
"Why are you telling me this?"
"Because," he said, "I noticed the distress on your face."
I almost laughed.
"My face?"
"Yes."
"You're a stranger."
"Exactly. Which means I can say what people who know you probably won't."
I raised an eyebrow.
He smiled.
"I'm not going to ask what happened. That's your story, and you don't owe it to me."
He paused.
"But I can make a pretty good guess."
I remained quiet.
"Deception," he said.
My expression changed.
"People who are two-faced. People who watch you work hard and then disappear when it's time to acknowledge your effort."
My heart skipped.
He continued before I could say anything.
"People who stand beside you when everything is easy, but suddenly become invisible when telling the truth might cost them something."
I stared at him.
He wasn't guessing anymore.
He was describing my entire week.
"How did you...?"
He smiled.
"You don't have to tell me."
I looked back at the lake.
For some reason, I suddenly felt like crying.
He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees.
"Do you know what most people do in situations like that?"
"What?"
"Stay silent."
I frowned.
"Not because they're weak," he continued. "Sometimes they stay silent because speaking up has consequences. They fear losing their job. They fear being labeled difficult. They fear embarrassment. They fear losing face."
He glanced at me.
"And sometimes they're simply too exhausted to fight."
I looked down at my hands.
That was exactly it.
He smiled gently.
"Can I tell you something personal?"
I turned toward him.
"I was all ears."
"Be careful with people who repeatedly show you who they are."
I frowned again.
He laughed.
"That expression again."
"What expression?"
"The one that says, 'Please don't give me another lecture.'"
Despite myself, I smiled.
He continued.
"I don't mean that you should become suspicious of everyone. That's not healthy either. But pay attention to patterns."
"Patterns?"
"People can change their faces depending on the situation. Their behavior can change depending on who's watching. But their patterns usually remain."
He pointed toward the lake.
"If someone has betrayed your trust once, don't immediately give them the keys to your house."
I smiled.
"Metaphorically speaking."
"Obviously."
He chuckled.
"Also, communicate clearly with your boss."
My smile faded.
"Even if you find your boss annoying. Even if you feel misunderstood. Your workplace has a structure. You cannot pretend the hierarchy doesn't exist."
"So I just accept everything?"
"No."
His answer came quickly.
"You document your work. You communicate professionally. You make your contribution visible. You don't fight every battle emotionally."
He looked at me seriously.
"Sometimes winning isn't about proving someone wrong. Sometimes winning is protecting your position while refusing to let someone else's behavior destroy your peace."
I sat quietly.
The morning suddenly felt different.
He stood up.
"Anyway, I should let you enjoy your sunrise."
I looked up at him.
He smiled.
"And don't worry. I won't bother you if we happen to meet again."
He started walking away, then turned around.
"But if one day you feel like talking, and you believe I might actually listen..."
He placed a hand lightly over his chest.
"I'm all ears."
Then he walked away.
I watched him disappear down the path.
For a few minutes, I said nothing.
The lake remained calm.
The ducks continued swimming.
The birds continued singing.
Nothing about the world had changed.
My boss was still my boss.
My colleagues were still my colleagues.
The unfair appraisal hadn't magically disappeared.
But something inside me had shifted.
Perhaps I had been looking at the wrong question.
I had been asking myself:
Why did they do this to me?
Perhaps the better question was:
What am I going to do with what they have shown me?
I picked up my bag and stood.
I didn't need revenge.
I didn't need everyone to admit they had been wrong.
And I certainly didn't need to turn into a bitter person just because I had encountered dishonest ones.
I needed boundaries.
Documentation.
Clear communication.
And the courage to stop expecting loyalty from people who had already shown me otherwise.
As I walked out of the park, I glanced once more toward the lake.
The stranger had been right about one thing.
People may change their faces.
But their patterns rarely lie.
And sometimes, the most unexpected person can remind you of something you had forgotten:
You cannot control how people treat you, but you can decide how much power their behavior gets to have over you.
That morning, I went home with the same problems.
But I carried them differently.
toxic workplace, office betrayal, professional boundaries, workplace anxiety, emotional wellbeing, trust issues, difficult people, workplace conflict, self respect, healthy boundaries, professional communication, career resilience










Comments
Post a Comment