Walking My Way Through Depression: When the Body Speaks

 



A personal journey through depression, unexplained physical symptoms, emotional exhaustion, therapy, and the slow discovery that healing begins within.

Walking My Way Through Depression

It was 8 p.m.

After a long and exhausting day at work, I was finally making my way home. I stood at the bus stop, waiting for my ride, surrounded by the familiar chaos of the evening: headlights cutting through the darkness, cars rushing past, people talking, walking, and hurrying toward their own destinations.

It was an ordinary evening.

Until, suddenly, it wasn't.

Without warning, my vision began to change. The world in front of me slowly disappeared, replaced by what looked like a black background crossed by thin, blue horizontal lines. I blinked, trying to understand what was happening, but the strange visual disturbance only became more frightening.

Then my heart began racing.

Faster.

And faster.

Panic rushed through me. I could hear my own heartbeat, feel my body becoming weak, and before I could understand what was happening, I collapsed.

The next thing I remember is waking up in a hospital.

I had been brought to the emergency room by strangers who had witnessed me fall. I had spent the night and most of the following day there while doctors examined me, checked my eyes, ran blood tests, and tried to understand what had caused such a frightening episode.

I kept expecting them to find something physically wrong.

But eventually, one of the doctors said something I never expected to hear.

Depression.

I gasped.

Depression?

How could depression make me collapse at a bus stop? How could something I had always imagined as sadness, tiredness, or simply "feeling low" affect my body so intensely?

That question became the beginning of a very different journey.

After the physical assessments were completed, I was referred to a psychologist and psychotherapist, Dr. A. K. Nayyer. Through our sessions, we began looking beyond the incident itself and examining what had been happening beneath the surface for years.

The roots were not found in one single day.

They were connected to major life events, the pressure I had carried from my surroundings, expectations from siblings and family, and my constant need to do my best. I had become so accustomed to pushing myself forward that I rarely stopped to ask a simple question:

"How am I actually doing?"

Therapy helped me understand that the mind does not always announce its exhaustion through tears.

Sometimes, it speaks through the body.

Sometimes it whispers through sleepless nights, constant fatigue, racing thoughts, loss of motivation, unexplained physical sensations, or a feeling that you are carrying something heavy without knowing exactly what it is.

My therapist introduced me to practical techniques that could be incorporated into everyday life rather than treated as another burden on an already exhausted mind. Small, manageable changes became part of the process: understanding my thoughts, recognizing emotional triggers, making space for rest, challenging unrealistic expectations, and learning that asking for help was not a failure.

Perhaps the most important lesson was this:

I did not suddenly become weak. I had simply been strong for too long without giving myself permission to recover.

My walk home that evening never actually happened.

But in a strange way, that interrupted journey became the beginning of another one.

A walk inward.

A walk toward understanding myself.

And, eventually, a walk toward healing.


Comments

Popular Posts