The Person They Tried to Break Is Still Inside You



When people make you feel small, it is easy to lose yourself. Here’s how to rebuild self-worth and find the person you once were.

The Person They Tried to Break Is Still Inside You

I remember sitting quietly after yet another conversation that left me feeling smaller than I had been before it began.

The room was silent, but my mind wasn't.

I kept replaying the words, the tone, the little digs hidden between ordinary sentences. I wondered why I was still allowing someone else's behaviour to occupy so much space inside my head.

For a few minutes, I simply sat there.

Then I looked at myself and thought:

When did I become someone who needs permission to believe in herself?

That question stayed with me.

Because after a lot of thinking, I have come to a rather simple conclusion:

Nobody really wants to be surrounded by animosity.

Nobody wakes up wishing to meet people who will point out every flaw, remind them of every weakness, or make them feel inadequate.

We all want to move forward.

We want to grow. We want to become better versions of ourselves. We want to find people who will see our imperfections and still choose to respect us.

Because the truth is, every one of us is carrying something.

A weakness.
A wound.
A mistake.
A part of ourselves we are still trying to understand.

And yet, instead of finding companionship, we sometimes find competition.

Instead of kindness, we find people who look down on us.

Instead of encouragement, we find people who deliberately make us feel smaller.

They dismiss our efforts. They undermine our confidence. They play their little games, sometimes so quietly that we begin wondering whether the problem is actually us.

And perhaps the cruelest part is this:

We start believing them.

We begin shrinking ourselves to fit into the version of us they are comfortable with.

We stop speaking.

We stop trying.

We stop celebrating the little things we accomplish because someone has convinced us they are not enough.

I know this feeling.

I have experienced the backlash. The belittling. The subtle games. The moments when you know something is being done deliberately, yet you cannot quite explain it to anyone else.

For a long time, I succumbed to it.

I allowed other people's behaviour to enter my head and rearrange the furniture.

Their words stayed with me long after they had forgotten saying them.

Their opinions became heavier than my own.

And slowly, I became vulnerable to every little thing.

But something happens when you have been pushed for too long.

Eventually, you stop falling.

You stand.

Not because the world suddenly becomes kinder.

Not because the people who hurt you suddenly understand what they have done.

But because something inside you finally whispers:

Enough.

Enough of being underestimated.

Enough of explaining your worth.

Enough of allowing somebody else's inability to see your value to become your own inability to see it.

And that was when I began looking backwards.

Not to live in the past.

But to find someone I had lost along the way.

I thought about the child I once was.

The girl who was loved.

The girl who was appreciated.

The girl who could walk into a room without wondering whether she was good enough to be there.

She had dreams.

She laughed without calculating how she looked.

She believed people when they told her she mattered.

She had not yet learned how easily the world can make you question yourself.

And I wondered:

Where did she go?

Then I realized something.

She didn't go anywhere.

She was simply buried.

Buried beneath disappointments.

Buried beneath criticism.

Buried beneath years of trying to keep everyone happy.

Buried beneath the exhausting habit of questioning herself.

But she was still there.

And perhaps that is the most beautiful thing about us.

The person we were before life hurt us does not completely disappear.

Sometimes we just have to dig through the rubble to find them again.

So if you are reading this while feeling small, defeated, or exhausted by someone else's treatment of you, stop for a moment.

Listen to your own voice.

Not theirs.

Yours.

You don't have to drown yourself in an ocean of negativity just because someone else threw you into it.

You don't have to sit at the bottom of a dark pit and call it your home.

And you don't have to spend your life proving your worth to people who have already decided not to see it.

Instead, take a quiet walk through your own history.

Go back to the person you were before you started doubting yourself.

Remember what made you laugh.

Remember what you wanted.

Remember the things you were proud of before someone taught you to be embarrassed by them.

Find that person.

Hold their hand.

Tell them you are sorry for abandoning them for so long.

And then begin again.

Slowly.

Quietly.

Without announcing your comeback to anyone.

Because you don't need an audience for your healing.

You don't need applause for your growth.

And you certainly don't need permission to become yourself again.

Let people underestimate you.

Let them misunderstand you.

Let them tell whatever story about you they need to tell.

You know who you are.

And perhaps that is the real victory:

Not becoming harder because people hurt you.

Not becoming cruel because people were cruel to you.

But finding your way back to yourself without losing the goodness that existed there in the first place.

I am still me.

And so are you.

The person you thought you lost is still somewhere inside you.

Maybe tired.

Maybe bruised.

Maybe frightened.

But breathing.

Waiting.

And perhaps all they need from you is one thing:

Believe in them again.

Then take the first step.

Not to prove them wrong.

To prove to yourself that they were never right about you.

Comments

Popular Posts