What If Staying Costs More Than Leaving?

 



Standing between the woman I was taught to be and the woman I might still become


At the Crossroads

Hello, reader.

Today, I simply want to share a thought, or perhaps an opinion I have been carrying around for some time.

You know that kind of road.

The one full of potholes and unexpected turns, where the vehicle struggles to move smoothly. Every bump shakes you a little harder than the last. And if you are walking instead, your feet begin to ache, your legs grow heavy, and eventually even putting one foot in front of the other feels like an act of endurance.

The longer you remain on that road, the more frustrating it becomes.

Not only physically, but mentally.

You begin asking yourself, How much longer can I do this? Why does everything have to be this difficult? Is this really the road I am supposed to be on?

And honestly, you are not wrong for feeling those things.

Perhaps you are not weak.

Perhaps you are simply tired of being hurt by a road that was never meant to be this difficult.

Sometimes, we spend so much time blaming ourselves for being exhausted that we forget to ask whether we are exhausted because we have been carrying something that should never have been ours to carry alone.

But then, after what feels like an endless journey, something unexpected happens.

You arrive at a crossroads.

You stop.

You look around.

For the first time in a long while, you are no longer simply surviving the journey. You have a choice to make.

There are two roads ahead.

The road to the left is smooth. It is unfamiliar, perhaps even frightening. You cannot see where it ends. There are no guarantees. You do not know who you will become if you take it, or what you might have to leave behind.

The road to the right looks familiar.

You know exactly where it leads.

But it is still bumpy.

The same potholes.

The same exhaustion.

The same uncertainty.

The same journey you have already travelled so many times.

And suddenly, the question is no longer, Can I survive this road?

The question becomes:

Do I really want to keep travelling it?

What would you choose?

Would you take the unfamiliar road simply because it might offer a different destination?

Or would you stay on the familiar one because at least you know what waits around the next corner?

I wish I had a simple answer.

But I don't.

Because, as I write this, I am standing at my own crossroads.

And perhaps that is why this thought feels so difficult to put into words.

One road seems to lead toward the life I have been taught to call the life of an obedient wife. A life of adjusting, accommodating, forgiving, remaining patient, keeping the peace, swallowing difficult words, and learning to live with things because perhaps that is what a "good wife" is expected to do.

The other road whispers something different.

It asks me to explore.

To discover who I am beyond the roles I have been assigned.

To wonder what my life could look like if I stopped measuring my worth by how well I could endure.

And that road scares me.

Not because I necessarily believe it is wrong, but because it is unfamiliar.

There is a strange comfort in familiar pain.

We know its shape.

We know its language.

We know how tomorrow might look because yesterday looked almost exactly the same.

An unfamiliar future, on the other hand, demands courage.

It asks questions for which we do not have answers.

What if I fail?

What if I regret leaving the familiar road?

What if people judge me?

What if I discover that the life I imagined for myself no longer exists?

But perhaps there is another question we should ask ourselves at the crossroads:

What if staying costs me more than leaving ever could?

I don't know which road I will eventually take.

I am still standing here, looking at both directions, trying to gather enough courage to move.

Maybe that is the uncomfortable truth about crossroads.

They don't always arrive with clarity.

Sometimes they arrive with confusion.

Sometimes with fear.

Sometimes with tears.

Sometimes with a heart that desperately wants someone else to choose for us.

But perhaps no one else can.

Because some roads belong only to us.

And maybe choosing yourself does not always mean walking away from everyone else.

Maybe it simply means refusing to abandon yourself while trying to keep everyone else happy.

Perhaps the first step is not choosing the road.

Perhaps the first step is simply admitting that the road we are on is hurting us.

That we are tired.

That something has to change.

And maybe, just maybe, the smooth road does not have to promise us a destination.

Maybe it only needs to offer us the possibility of becoming someone who can finally breathe.

So here I am, at my crossroads.

Still uncertain.

Still afraid.

Still carrying questions that have no neat answers.

But for the first time, I am looking at the roads not only through the eyes of someone who has responsibilities, expectations, and obligations.

I am trying to look at them through the eyes of a woman who has a life of her own.

And perhaps that is where my journey truly begins.

Not when I finally choose a road.

But when I finally realize that I am allowed to choose.


Mental Health · Self Discovery · Personal Growth · Relationships · Marriage · Women · Life Lessons · Healing · Emotional Wellbeing · Self Worth

 

Comments

Popular Posts