The Ice Cream Mode: Finding Hope When Life Feels Heavy
Sometimes resilience begins with something small. A personal reflection on uncertainty, disappointment, hope, and finding comfort in everyday moments.
A Letter to Humanity: The Ice Cream Mode 🍦
Dear Humanity,
I want to tell you about ice cream.
Not because I have suddenly become an expert on desserts, and certainly not because I believe a scoop of ice cream can solve the complicated mathematics of life.
It can't.
But sometimes, when life feels particularly heavy, the smallest things have a strange way of reminding us that we are still here.
I discovered that on one of those days when my mind was somewhere between worry and exhaustion.
I was sitting there, lost in my thoughts, carrying questions I didn't have answers to and problems I couldn't simply fix. My mind was doing what anxious minds often do: travelling ten steps ahead, imagining every possible outcome, rearranging circumstances that were never mine to rearrange in the first place.
Then I took a bite of ice cream.
And for a few seconds, everything became quiet.
The coldness melted slowly in my mouth. There was sweetness, followed by that little cooling sensation that made me think of freshly fallen snowflakes touching warm ground.
It was such an ordinary moment.
Yet somehow, it felt like a tiny interruption in the noise.
And I thought:
Perhaps this is what we need sometimes.
Not a solution.
Not an answer.
Just an interruption.
A moment long enough for us to breathe before returning to the things that frighten us.
Dear Humanity, we spend so much of our lives trying to control things that were never entirely ours to control.
Other people's decisions.
Other people's moods.
Other people's promises.
The choices they make after we have done everything we thought we could do.
I know this because I have spent quite some time learning this lesson the difficult way.
There were expectations I carried into marriage.
I believed that two people could build something together if they tried hard enough. I believed responsibilities would eventually be understood, that effort would be reciprocated, that difficult seasons would pass.
Some of those expectations remained expectations.
And perhaps that is one of adulthood's quieter heartbreaks: discovering that love, patience and hope cannot make another person become willing when they have chosen not to be.
Recently, even with a new job in the picture, I found myself wondering whether my husband would continue with it.
Would he stay?
Would he give it a genuine chance?
Would things finally become a little more stable?
And the hardest part was not knowing.
The facts weren't clearly laid out.
The future remained blurry.
And when someone else's choices are connected to your own stability, uncertainty can become its own kind of weight.
For a while, I kept thinking about what I could do.
How could I make things work?
How could I make him understand?
How could I make the situation different?
Then came that ridiculous little spoonful of ice cream.
And perhaps it reminded me of something I had forgotten:
I cannot control everything.
But I can control something.
I can decide what I do next.
I can work.
I can learn.
I can write.
I can build.
I can try again.
I can create a path that belongs, at least partly, to me.
And that is what I am trying to do now.
I am struggling to build an income online.
Some days I feel hopeful.
Other days I wonder whether all this effort will actually lead somewhere.
There are days when the screen seems to stare back at me with nothing but silence.
No income.
No breakthrough.
No magical notification announcing that everything has finally changed.
But I keep showing up.
Because perhaps independence doesn't begin when we finally have enough money.
Perhaps it begins much earlier.
Perhaps it begins the day we quietly tell ourselves:
I need to build something of my own.
I don't know exactly where this road will take me.
But I know I don't want my entire future to depend on circumstances I cannot control.
So, dear Humanity, this is what I am learning:
We don't always need to solve our entire lives in one afternoon.
Sometimes we need to solve Tuesday.
Sometimes we need to answer one email.
Write one paragraph.
Apply for one opportunity.
Learn one new skill.
Save one small amount of money.
Take one walk.
Make one difficult decision.
Or eat one spoonful of ice cream and give our minds permission to stop fighting for five minutes.
Perhaps we have made life unnecessarily complicated.
We think happiness has to arrive dramatically.
We think healing has to look profound.
We think resilience means standing tall through everything without ever becoming tired.
Maybe it doesn't.
Maybe resilience sometimes looks like sitting quietly with a bowl of ice cream while your life remains unresolved.
Maybe hope isn't always a bright sunrise.
Sometimes it is simply the thought:
I don't know how this will work out yet, but I am going to try.
And maybe that is enough for tonight.
I call it my Ice Cream Mode.
It is not denial.
It is not pretending everything is okay.
It is not escaping reality.
It is simply giving myself a small, gentle pause before I return to reality.
Because the problems will still be there.
The unanswered questions will still be there.
The responsibilities will still be there.
But perhaps I don't have to carry all of them at exactly the same moment.
Perhaps I can put some of them down.
Just for a little while.
And breathe.
Dear Humanity, if you are reading this while carrying something nobody else can see, I hope you remember that you don't have to solve your whole life tonight.
You are allowed to take the small comforts when they come.
A cup of tea.
A quiet room.
A morning walk.
A familiar song.
A conversation that makes you laugh.
A page in a journal.
Or perhaps, like me, a spoonful of ice cream.
The world will not stop turning because you paused for a moment.
And sometimes, that pause is precisely what allows you to begin again.
So I am going to keep trying.
Not because I have figured life out.
I haven't.
Not because I know everything will magically become easier.
I don't.
But because somewhere between disappointment and uncertainty, I have discovered something I don't want to lose:
I still have choices.
And perhaps that is where hope begins.
Not with having control over everything.
But with recognizing the little pieces of life that are still within our hands.
For tonight, one of those pieces is mine.
It is cold, sweet, melting quickly...
and somehow, enough.
With warmth,
A woman learning to choose her next step 🍦
You tell me, what's your take on ice cream mode of life.










Comments
Post a Comment