Not Every Closed Door Is a Failure: How Rejection Redirected Me to My True Purpose

 



Not Every Closed Door Is a Failure

Sometimes It Simply Redirects the Journey Toward the Work You Were Always Meant to Create

I stared at my phone for a few moments after the call ended.

It wasn't the conversation I had imagined a hundred times.

For weeks, I had rehearsed answers in my mind.

"Tell us about yourself."

"Why do you want to become an Emotional Health Counselor?"

"How would you help a struggling student?"

Every possible question had already been answered in my head long before anyone asked them.

But none of those questions ever came.

Instead, I was invited to the school...

Not as a candidate.

Not as someone whose experience or education would be evaluated.

Simply as a parent.

It was such a small detail, yet it carried the weight of a collapsing bridge.

I smiled politely, ended the call, and quietly placed my phone on the table.

The room hadn't changed.

The sunlight still slipped through the curtains.

The clock continued ticking.

Outside, children laughed somewhere down the street.

Yet inside me, something had become strangely silent.


Hope is an unusual thing.

It arrives softly.

It doesn't knock loudly.

Sometimes it simply whispers,

"Maybe this time."

After years of putting my own aspirations aside, that school had become more than a workplace in my imagination.

It represented independence.

Purpose.

Learning.

Conversations with students.

Helping young minds navigate emotions they couldn't yet name.

It represented becoming myself again.

Not just someone's wife.

Not just someone's daughter-in-law.

Not just someone's mother.

Simply...

Me.

So when the opportunity disappeared before it had even truly begun, sadness arrived almost immediately.

For four days, it stayed with me like an uninvited guest.

It followed me while making tea.

While folding clothes.

While opening my laptop.

While pretending everything was perfectly normal.

But during those quiet days, I noticed something unexpected.

I was sad.

Yet I wasn't disappointed.

At first, those two emotions felt identical.

The more I sat with them, however, the more I realized they speak completely different languages.

Sadness says,

"This mattered to me."

Disappointment says,

"There is no point trying again."

Sadness mourns.

Disappointment surrenders.

One acknowledges loss.

The other buries hope.

And despite the ache in my chest...

Hope was still alive.


Life has a curious way of closing one door while quietly leaving a window unlocked somewhere else.

The problem is that we spend so much time staring at the closed door that we never notice the light coming through the window.

While I was grieving the opportunity I didn't receive, something else had already begun growing.

My writing.

For months, I had been publishing articles online.

Some received only a handful of readers.

Some disappeared into the endless ocean of the internet.

Yet recently, something changed.

Medium began paying me.

Not a fortune.

Not enough to transform my financial situation overnight.

Just small earnings.

Tiny numbers appearing where previously there had been none.

To someone else, they might have looked insignificant.

To me, they looked like evidence.

Evidence that words can carry value.

Evidence that consistency eventually introduces itself.

Evidence that perhaps I wasn't starting from nothing after all.


That realization changed the question I had been asking myself.

Instead of asking,

"Why didn't I get that job?"

I began asking,

"What if that job was never supposed to be the destination?"

What if it was simply the reminder I needed?

A reminder that I still wanted meaningful work.

That I still loved psychology.

That I still wanted to help people heal.

That I still had something worth saying.

Perhaps I had been looking for permission to begin.

Instead, life handed me responsibility.

No employer was going to build my dream.

I would have to build it myself.


These days my laptop has become something more than a machine.

It feels like a workshop.

Each article becomes another brick.

Each journal another window.

Each published story another light switched on for someone who may be sitting in darkness.

My project, Mind & Heart Café, continues to grow in my imagination.

My larger dream is taking shape even more clearly.

A website dedicated to psychology, emotional healing, self-reflection, and the quiet struggles that rarely make headlines.

A place where readers can pause.

Breathe.

Understand themselves a little better.

Perhaps even leave feeling lighter than when they arrived.

I no longer see it as a backup plan.

I see it as the work I have been walking toward all along.


Looking back, I realize something beautiful.

That school never rejected my purpose.

It only rejected one particular path.

Purpose is much larger than a single opportunity.

A closed door doesn't always mean no.

Sometimes it simply means,

"Not here."

Sometimes it gently points toward a road we never intended to take.

The road is often longer.

Less certain.

Far lonelier.

But it may also lead somewhere infinitely more meaningful.

Perhaps that is why some dreams disappear.

Not because they were too big.

But because they were too small for the life waiting ahead.

So if you are standing in front of a closed door today, allow yourself to grieve.

Feel the sadness.

It is proof that your heart still dares to hope.

But do not confuse sadness with defeat.

One opportunity may end.

Your purpose does not.

The door that closes behind you may simply be making enough silence for you to hear the one that is opening ahead.

And sometimes...

the work you were searching for is the work you are meant to create yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts