Dear Aunty Agni: Depression and Loneliness Have Me Worried About My Future
Dear Aunty Agni: Depression and Loneliness Have Me Worried About My Future
Dear Aunty Agni,
I don't really know how to begin this letter.
Maybe because I don't completely understand what's happening to me either.
Lately, I've been feeling very lonely. Not the kind of loneliness that comes from being physically alone, but the kind where you can be surrounded by people and still feel like nobody really sees you.
I talk to people. I smile. I answer questions. I do the things I'm supposed to do.
From the outside, I probably look fine.
But inside, I feel tired.
And sometimes, I feel completely empty.
I've also been struggling with depression, and what scares me most is not just how I feel right now.
It's what I keep thinking about my future.
I keep wondering, What if this is how my life is always going to feel?
What if I never feel genuinely happy again?
What if I remain lonely?
What if I never find people I can truly trust?
What if everyone else moves forward with their lives while I stay stuck in the same place?
These thoughts come to me especially when I'm alone at night.
During the day, I can distract myself. There are things to do, people to talk to, responsibilities to take care of.
But at night, everything becomes quieter.
And somehow, my thoughts become louder.
I start thinking about where I am in life and where I thought I would be by now.
Sometimes I look at other people and feel like they are living the life I was supposed to have.
They have close friends.
They seem happy.
They have plans.
They are building careers, relationships, families and futures.
And I wonder what happened to mine.
I know I shouldn't compare myself to other people, but sometimes I can't help it.
Social media makes it even worse.
I see someone's holiday pictures, someone's wedding, someone's new job, someone's achievements, and for a few minutes I forget that I'm only seeing a small part of their life.
I start thinking:
Why am I not there yet?
What's wrong with me?
Maybe the hardest part is that I don't even know what I need.
I want people around me, but sometimes I don't have the energy to talk.
I want someone to ask me how I'm doing, but when someone actually asks, I say, "I'm fine."
I want my life to change, but some days even getting through the day feels exhausting.
And then I feel guilty for feeling this way.
I tell myself that other people have bigger problems.
That I should be grateful.
That I should just try harder.
That I should stop overthinking.
But knowing these things doesn't magically make the loneliness disappear.
So, Aunty Agni, I need to ask you something.
Am I ruining my future because I'm struggling so much right now?
Am I wasting important years of my life?
Or is there still a way back from this?
Someone Who Is Scared of Being Stuck
Dear Someone,
First, please stop blaming yourself for being depressed.
You wouldn't blame yourself for having a physical illness, so please don't treat emotional pain as a personal failure.
You are struggling.
That doesn't mean you are weak.
And it certainly doesn't mean your future is ruined.
I think one of the cruelest things depression does is make the present feel permanent.
When you're hurting for a long time, your mind starts telling you that tomorrow will look exactly like today.
You feel lonely today, so your brain says you'll always be lonely.
You feel exhausted today, so it tells you that you'll never have energy again.
You don't feel hopeful today, so it whispers that there is nothing left to hope for.
But feelings don't work like calendars.
Feeling hopeless today doesn't mean you will feel hopeless forever.
Your mind is trying to make a prediction while you're standing in the middle of the storm.
That's not a very reliable place from which to predict the weather.
And I want you to remember something else.
You said you are surrounded by people but still lonely.
That tells me something important.
Maybe you don't need more people.
Maybe you need more real connection.
There is a difference.
You can have twenty people around you and still feel alone.
And sometimes one honest conversation with the right person can mean more than a room full of people.
So perhaps you don't need to suddenly become social or make ten new friends.
Start with one person.
Someone you trust even a little.
And maybe, instead of saying "I'm fine," try saying:
"I've actually been struggling lately."
You don't have to tell them everything.
Just open the door a little.
Let someone see the part of you that you've been hiding.
And if you don't have someone you feel comfortable talking to, consider speaking with a therapist or another qualified mental-health professional.
You don't have to wait until things become unbearable before asking for help.
You deserve support now.
There is another thing I want you to stop doing.
Please stop comparing your life to everyone else's.
I know that's easier said than done.
But you're comparing your behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel.
You see their smiles.
You don't see their difficult mornings.
You see their celebrations.
You don't see their private disappointments.
You see their achievements.
You don't see how many times they failed before getting there.
And honestly, you don't even know whether they are as happy as they look.
So don't use somebody else's life as evidence that you're failing at yours.
You are not late.
You are simply somewhere different.
And different doesn't automatically mean wrong.
You also said you're afraid of wasting your best years.
I understand that fear.
But who told you that your best years have already arrived?
Life doesn't have one fixed deadline for happiness.
You can discover yourself at 20.
Or 30.
Or 40.
Or 60.
You can make new friends later.
You can change careers later.
You can fall in love later.
You can start something completely new later.
There is no invisible clock above your head saying:
"You have until this age to figure everything out."
Real life isn't that neat.
Sometimes we spend years simply surviving.
Sometimes we lose ourselves.
Sometimes we make choices we regret.
Sometimes we get stuck.
And sometimes, after all of that, we slowly find our way back.
So please don't decide that your life is over just because this particular chapter is painful.
For now, I don't want you to fix your entire future.
That's too big.
Instead, try to make tomorrow a little easier.
Get some sunlight.
Take a short walk.
Eat something.
Take a shower.
Call someone.
Sit somewhere other than your bedroom.
Write down what you're feeling instead of keeping every thought trapped inside your head.
Do one small thing that gives you a reason to get out of bed.
And if you can, get professional help.
You don't have to wait until you're completely broken before you deserve help.
Sometimes healing starts with something very ordinary.
A conversation.
A doctor's appointment.
A therapy session.
A walk.
A meal.
A good night's sleep.
A message from someone who cares.
Small things can become the beginning of bigger things.
And please remember this:
You don't have to feel hopeful to keep going.
There may be days when you don't believe things will get better.
That's okay.
Let someone else hold some hope for you on those days.
You only have to keep the door open.
Don't make permanent conclusions about your life while you're in the middle of a painful season.
You don't know who you're going to meet.
You don't know what opportunities are waiting for you.
You don't know what version of yourself you'll become after you heal.
You don't know how different your life might feel a year from now.
So leave some room for surprise.
Your future is not a continuation of your worst day.
And your loneliness today is not proof that you'll be lonely forever.
You are struggling right now.
That's true.
But struggling is not the same thing as being lost forever.
Take it one day at a time.
And when one day feels too big, take it one hour at a time.
You don't need to solve your whole life tonight.
Just stay.
Keep going.
And let tomorrow introduce itself when it arrives.
With care,
Aunty Agni











Comments
Post a Comment